Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am calling this recipe this name due to the coffee flavor.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup coffee, cold
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together until the dough forms a very thick batter. (try not to use electric mixer).
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, mashing the mixture against the side of the bowl if there are any bits of shortening not dissolved in the batter.
- Resume stirring until all is mixed thoroughly.
- Drop by the teaspoon 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets.
- Bake until the edges are firm, and slightly darker than the rest of the cookie, 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack or a plate and then put into sealed containers.
- Cookies will stay fresh for 3 days.