Recipe by carolinafan
Why not have a coffee flavored coffee cake?
Top Review by Aunty Dotty
Great! My fiance just grabbed an armload as he walked past and inhaled it as he kept walking - that's a winning cake! Only changed the walnuts to almonds and went half coffee/half cocoa for the glaze. Thanks carolinafan!
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄3 cup sifted powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of an 8x8x2 inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons coffee crystals, and cinnamon.
- For batter: In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine egg, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; stir until moistened.
- Spread half of the batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the coffee mixture.
- Repeat layers. Using a knife, swirl batter slightly. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For icing: In a small bowl, stir the 2 tsp coffee crystals into the milk until dissolved. Stir in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm.