Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very quick and easy little cake made with common pantry ingredients and my favorite... COFFEE!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup coffee
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the first seven ingredients until well-blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour in the batter and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Very simple to make! Since the previous reviewer couldn't taste coffee, I used 3/4 cup espresso instead of regular coffee. I would say the cake has a definite coffee flavor, kind of like a gingerbread with coffee instead of ginger as the main flavor. I used butter instead of shortening, and I used only 1/2 cup sugar, and it seemed plenty sweet to me. Next time I will add some cinnamon, which I think would complement the coffee flavor without overwhelming it.
Nice and simple. I could not taste any coffee, though, which did not leave the cake with any specific flavour. My husband didn't seem to find anything wrong with it! I almost had to pull him away, so it seems to just be a matter of taste:)