Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are great with tea, coffee or a nice scoop of ice cream!
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Whisk coffee granules into milk; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together; beat in egg.
- Stir flour, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mix. alternately with coffee-milk mix.into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into 9x13 pan and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Note: You can add an icing sugar glaze if you'd like or keep it plain.
- Glaze: 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and enough milk to make it thick yet liquid enough to pour over warm bars.
I used 2/3 wheat flour, soy milk instead of regular milk, 3 tbs butter+3 tbs flax seed in my so called healthier version, and it came out moist, fluffy, and absolutely delicious!