Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This a fun and less labor-intensive way to bake bread and impress your camping companions at the same time. Adapted from Sam on About.com.
- 1 lb bread dough
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons cooking spray
- Also requires 1 small coffee can and 1 large coffee can.
- Grease and coat the small coffee can liberally with the butter or cooking spray.
- Place dough in can and cover with foil. Place in warm area, perhaps on the ashes of the outskirts of a campfire until dough rises, until almost doubled in volume.
- Line the bottom of the large can with about 1 or 2 inchs of pebbles, small rocks or sand to keep the bread from burning on the bottom. Set the small can inside the large one, making sure the sides don't touch, and then insert the large can into the coals, burying about two or three inches of the bottom. Cover the entire top with foil and poke a few holes to allow air. Check by lifting foil in about 40 to 50 minutes. Bread is done when brown on top.
- Feel free to use different kinds of bread dough. I used a pound of wheat dough mixed in my bread machine.
Brilliant!!! An excellent surprise for the group next weekend. Also, another great use for all the empty coffee cans in the garage. Load it up with some butter and put my feet up!