Recipe by littleturtle
Any chopped, dried fruit can substitute for the raisins. Great just sliced and spread with butter.
- 4 cups flour or 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts or 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, chopped
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: 2 (1 lb.) clean coffee cans with plastic lids.
- Mix 2 cups flour with yeast.
- In a saucepan, stir together milk, butter, sugar, and salt over low heat until butter is melted.
- Cool 5 minutes, and add liquid ingredients to flour and yeast in bowl.
- Beat until just smooth.
- Add remaining 2 cups of flour, nuts, raisins, and eggs, and mix well (Dough will be stiff).
- Knead on floured board until smooth and elastic and fruit is well distributed.
- Coat inside of coffee cans using a little oil or melted butter.
- Divide dough in half and put one half in each can, and cover.
- Place in a warm spot (about 85 degrees) for dough to rise, until it reaches about an inch from the top (about 1 hour).
- Remove plastic lid, and bake at 375F for 35 minutes or until bread is well-browned and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Let cool in cans for 10 minutes before turning out on rack to cool completely.