Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an outdoor recipe over a fire pit in the ground, campfire. You must have a metal 2# coffee can and foil. I mix the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag. Then I dump in the can. (Do they have coffee in metal cans any more?)
- Wash coffee can and dry. Keep plastic lid.
- Put margarine in can. Use a paper towel to wipe the entire inside of can. Leave the remaining margarine.
- Add the apple slices, if canned do not drain, add liquid.
- In large ziplock bag mix the following:.
- Flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Shake shake shake.
- Add to the coffee can. Put the plastic lid on and hold on to the top and bottom of can and shake shake shake. Remove lid. If it is not mixed well enough, use the dreaded spoon.
- Add the milk and water in the can. Replace the plastic lid. Do the shake shake shake again. Take off lid.
- Place heavy foil on top of can. Place in coals or on grill over fire. When you start to hear the sizzle for about 15 minutes, remove to the end of the coals or the side of the grill, and continue to cook another 20 minutes. Pull off. Let set a few minutes.
- Serve with a spoon. Do not get down to the very bottom, it may be too brown. My kids loved the crispies, but perhaps not to everyone's taste. Serve with ice cream, whipped topping or dry Jello mix sprinkled on top.