Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
What a great cake! Moist and delicious with just the right balance of tartness and sweetness. I used nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream and used freshly made cranberry sauce instead of canned. Perfect for the holidays and all year round.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream (I used nonfat plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce (I used 1 cup of fresh cranberry sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- (Decrease the temperature by 25 degrees if using dark pan).
- Grease and flour a 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Tap out the excess flour.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs just until well blended.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Lower the mixer speed, and add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream or yogurt until just blended. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Stir in the almond extract and mix only until just combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan.
- Swirl 1/2 of the cranberry sauce into the batter.
- Add another 1/3 of the batter, then swirl in the remaining cranberry sauce. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake about 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes. Cut around edge of the cake to loosen, then turn out and let cool completely on wire rack.
I recently made this for a Thanksgiving Day breakfast and it got rave reviews from everyone. I also thought that it was very easy to put together. This one is a keeper!
This cake was very good ,my mom loved it. I used the sour cream but next time I'll try it with yogurt,also some kind of glaze.
Very good. I used non fat yogurt along with canned whole berry cranberry sauce and it was a hit at work and at home.