FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pans
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare streusel topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffins:
- Butter and flour a jumbo 12-cup muffin tin (or two 6-cup muffin tins).
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Top with half the streusel mixture, then remaining batter, and top with streusel.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.