Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been making this recipe since I was first married. It comes from a Better Homes cookbook and it is one of our favorites.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 well-beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Sift 1 1/2°C flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix egg and milk.
- Add all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Combine brown sugar, nuts, 1 T.
- flour, cinnamon and butter.
- Place half of the batter in greased or paper lined muffin pans.
- Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over each one.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
I wanted something that looked fancy, yet was easy to assemble to take as a gift for some friends. This fit the bill perfectly. As they opened the container they were impressed by the looks and they tasted just as delicious. I did as another reviewer did and used 1 tbsp of batter on the bottom, 1 tsp of the sugar/nut mixture in the middle and another 1 tbsp on the top. I then sprinkled the remaining sugar/nut mixture over the top. I ended up with only 8 muffins though. I also used butter instead of shortening. Thanks for the recipe!
These muffins are really, really yummy! I made a minor adjustment to the batter mix. I added about 1/4 cup more sugar to flour sugar mix. I also added 1 teaspoon vanilla. I made for a reception for a special Sunday morning at church. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Tami B
By the recipe it is good, but a bit bland as others have pointed out. So I added 1tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Then they turned out yummy. The batter does not make a lot though. I got 7 regular "coffee shop" sized muffins. To get the 12 they suggest, they would have to be pretty tiny muffins. It is 5 stars with the vanilla and almond added in and only 4 stars by itself. I will make these again though with the changes as they are yummy now!