Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking. This makes enough mix for two coffee cakes.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup dry buttermilk, powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 squares)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY)
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- Combine the first eight ingredients.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping mix ingredients.
- Store both mixes in separate airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
- Yield: 2 batches (9 cups cake mix, 1-1/3 cups topping).
- TO PREPARE ONE COFFEE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 2 eggs, 1 cup water and 4-1/2 cups cake mix just until blended.
- Pour in greased 9 inch square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 2/3 cup topping mix.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.