Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
(Toppings to follow.) This recipe is from Mrs. S. Hiller, from the cookbook "Heritage of Cooking" A Collection of Recipes from East Perry County, Missouri. To find out more about this cookbook read the description from the first recipe I posted from it #38,782. Add the topping of your choice from the following recipes 40284, 40283, 40282, 40279, 40270 and the Crumb topping #40276.
- Scald milk.
- Stir in sugar, salt and lard.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure water into large warm bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast, stir until dissolved.
- Stir in milk mixture, egg and half of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover loosely.
- Keep in cool place for at least 2 hours.
- (Dough may be kept in refrigerator up to 3 days).
- Take 1/2 of the dough and pat dough into a greased 13" x 9-1/2" x 2" pan, pushing dough up pan sides to form a ridge.
- Add the topping of your choice from the following recipes: Recipe #40284, Recipe #40283, Recipe #40282, Recipe #40279, Recipe #40270 and Recipe #40276.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until done.
Easy to make, and Charlotte J's instructions were so easy to follow for an occasional baker like me. I used butter, and made this in order to make Charlotte J’s Apfel Kuchen Apfel Kuchen. SO worth the effort: scrumptious! And I'm sure it would have passed my German grandmother's taste test! Thank you, Charlotte J!
This is so neat. I love that I can make two different cakes with only one recipe! I used the butter topping and it is GREAT! It ends up like a bit of cake on soft bread. Such a neat combination! I did up the other cake with my "usual" streusel topping. It worked quite well. I am looking forward to trying the coconut topping next! This has Family Reunion written all over it! Thank you so much for this recipe!
I made this last night and it was very easy to put together. I found that even at 25 mins of cook time it overcooked a bit. I re-check my oven thermometer and it was correct for temp. This is a nice not overly sweet dough and I will be making again!! Thanks for posting!!!