I discovered this recipe in Lee Lee's Recipe Box : ) I hope you will enjoy it! Cook time includes chilling time.
- Beat cream, sugar, hot coffee, egg yolks and coffee powder in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate covered until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in small mixer bowl; beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in custard; beat until smooth.
- TIP: Remaining frosting can be stored covered in refrigerator up to 3 days.
This was gorgeous and glossy and perfectly textured when I made it last night, but when I went to frost the cake after refrigerating overnight, it had a strange texture like Engrossed described, even after whipping again. The flavor is completely spot on, though!
This has a fabulous sweet coffee flavor and smooth texture. Unfortunately, I made it to use as filling in between yellow cake layers that were frosted with a dark chocolate frosting and as filling it got a weird slimy texture. I'll try it again some day as a frosting and I'm sure it will be great.
This is a delicious frosting I made to go with a chocolate cake I baked for a friend's birthday. It's light and perfectly sweet enough for our taste. This is a keeper!