Recipe by Bev
I discovered this recipe in Lee Lee's Recipe Box : ) I hope you will enjoy it! Cook time includes chilling time.
Top Review by under12parsecs
This was gorgeous and glossy and perfectly textured when I made it last night, but when I went to frost the cake after refrigerating overnight, it had a strange texture like Engrossed described, even after whipping again. The flavor is completely spot on, though!
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee, hot
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat cream, sugar, hot coffee, egg yolks and coffee powder in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate covered until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in small mixer bowl; beat in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in custard; beat until smooth.
- TIP: Remaining frosting can be stored covered in refrigerator up to 3 days.