Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Luscious real butter coffee flavored buttercream. Perfect for topping my Kahlua Coffee Cupcakes!
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons brandy
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Set the bowl over simmering water and whisk gently until the sugar is dissolved and the egg whites are hot.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and whip with the whisk on medium speed until cooled. Switch to the paddle and beat in the softened butter and continue beating until the buttercream is smooth. Dissolve the instant coffee in the liquor and beat into the buttercream until smooth. Buttercream may separate after liquor is added, but continue to beat and it will reform.