Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (1 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°; butter or spray 12 regular-size muffin cups in muffin pan; place muffin pan on baking sheet.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in the brown sugar, making sure there are no lumps.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk the coffee, melted butter, egg, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and, with a whisk, gently but quickly stir to blend; don’t worry about being thorough—a few lumps are better than overmixing the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.
These have fabulouse coffee flavor! They're not too sweet, so they make a nice breakfast muffin with coffee (of course!). I did substitute ground flax seed in for some of the butter, and it worked out great. I'll definitely make these again.