Recipe by Barb G.
Relish each step of preparing coffee-and chile-braised short ribs; searing a brown crust on the ribs before they bake adds a deep carmelized flavor; sauteing the aromatics( onions, peppers, garlic) in the drippings makes the sauce base really fragant. The ancho chile powder is available in the mexican spice section of most supermarkets and at latin markets.
Top Review by ellie_
Very good short ribs which we enjoyed with corn bread and Cheesy Green Chile Corn recipe#85149. The only subsitution I made was using basil instead of oregano (which I was out of) with good results. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 lbs beef short ribs (1-inch-thick flanken-style)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded,finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups strong coffee (not espresso or dark roast)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot (Dutch oven) over medium-high heat; sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper; working in batches, add ribs to pot and cook until brown, about 4 minutes each side, transfer to platter.
- Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno to drippings in pot, reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes; stir in garlic and saute uncovered 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar, ancho chile powder, oregano, and cumin; stir 15 seconds; stir in coffee, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste, bring to a boil, scrapping up browned bits;Return ribs and any juices to pot; bring to boil.
- Cover and bake until meat is very tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes; spoon fat from surface of sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper, (can be prepared 1 day ahead, cool slightly, chill uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigrate, Rewarm, covered, over medium heat before continuing): Transfer ribs to platter, spoon sauce over and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.