2 hrs 25 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
Relish each step of preparing coffee-and chile-braised short ribs; searing a brown crust on the ribs before they bake adds a deep carmelized flavor; sauteing the aromatics( onions, peppers, garlic) in the drippings makes the sauce base really fragant. The ancho chile powder is available in the mexican spice section of most supermarkets and at latin markets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 lbs beef short ribs (1-inch-thick flanken-style)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded,finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups strong coffee (not espresso or dark roast)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Heat oil in heavy large pot (Dutch oven) over medium-high heat; sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper; working in batches, add ribs to pot and cook until brown, about 4 minutes each side, transfer to platter.
- 3Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno to drippings in pot, reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes; stir in garlic and saute uncovered 1 minute.
- 4Add brown sugar, ancho chile powder, oregano, and cumin; stir 15 seconds; stir in coffee, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste, bring to a boil, scrapping up browned bits;Return ribs and any juices to pot; bring to boil.
- 5Cover and bake until meat is very tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes; spoon fat from surface of sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper, (can be prepared 1 day ahead, cool slightly, chill uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigrate, Rewarm, covered, over medium heat before continuing): Transfer ribs to platter, spoon sauce over and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee-braised Short Ribs With Ancho Chile
Serving Size: 1 (597 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1575.8
- Calories from Fat 1279
- Total Fat 142.1 g
- Saturated Fat 60.3 g
- Cholesterol 287.2 mg
- Sodium 380.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 56.2 g