Recipe by Mims & Squims
The coffee lends rich flavor while serranos spice it up. If you're not addicted to hot & spicy like I am, cut back on or eliminate the serranos altogether.
Top Review by donnie27
this is a really great and easy recipe. I love braised roasts, but was looking for a variation when I came upon this one. I didn't have serrano peppers, but used about 4 small really hot peppers from my garden. Even then it was not overly hot, so I think it is a matter of choice when it comes to the amount of peppers. I cooked mine in the oven, covered the pan with foil, at 300 degrees for about 5 hrs. The size of the roast would dictate the time, but it was falling apart and just delicious. I added 2 T. of tomato paste (just for color) but otherwise made exactly to the recipe. I will definitely make this again. I am glad to give you the first review and hope others try it too. Donna
- 4 lbs beef top round roast, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 4 serrano peppers, whole, seeds removed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large pot over medium heat. Add roast and cook 7-10 minutes, turning, until browned on all sides. Transfer roast to crock pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to pot on stove. Add onions and cook, stirring, 5-7 minutes until golden. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in coffee and vinegar; bring to a simmer.
- Add onion mixture to crock pot.
- Cover and cook until, 4 1/2-5 hrs on high or 7-8 hrs on low.
- Transfer roast to plastic cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes.
- Pour liquid from crock pot into medium saucepan skim fat from top.
- Bring liquid to boil over medium heat.
- Mix cornstarch in water & add to boiling liquid. Cook, stirring with whisk 1 minute till sauce thickens into gravy.
- Add black pepper and remove serrano peppers. Carve roast and serve with gravy.