1/3 Photos of Coffee Braised Pot Roast With Onion Sauce
2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 40 mins
A tasty pot roast with a rich sauce. Serve with potatoes and steamed carrots. The vinegar added to the gravy gives it a "sauerbraten" flavor and can be omitted if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 lbs top round roast
- 1 1/2 cups strong black coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat and brown the beef on all sides. Spoon the onions around the roast and pour in the coffee and broth. Add the salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cover. Put the pot into oven and cook 1 hour and 40 minutes. Baste occasionally.
- 4Remove the roast from pan and let rest 15 minutes.
- 5Remove the onions from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard the bay leaf; degrease the liquid.
- 6Mash together the butter and flour.
- 7Bring the liquid to a boil and slowly whisk in the butter mixture. Simmer the sauce 10 minutes; it should be slightly thickened. Stir in the onions and vinegar; check the seasonings.
- 8Carve the roast thinly and serve with the onion sauce.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee Braised Pot Roast With Onion Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.4
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 320.6 mg
- Sodium 791.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 101.8 g