Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A unique coffee dessert. Bombes are another form of ice-cream, made with the addition of whipped cream. The directions are for hand-freezing, but it could easily be made in an electric ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cooking time is freezing time.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup very strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup powdered instant coffee (or more if desired)
- Cream egg yolks with 1 cup sugar until very light and smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, whip cream with remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place the bowl in ice.
- Slowly add the coffee and powdered coffee to the cream, beating constantly.
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the cream mixture, beating constantly.
- When all of the ingredients have been thoroughly blended and mixture is stiff, pour into mold (filling only 3/4 full to allow for expansion).
- Cover with wax paper, adjust the lid so it fits tightly, and either grease the edges or seal with adhesive tape to prevent salt from penetrating the seal.
- Place in a bucket packed with ice and rock salt (1 part salt to every 4 parts ice; ice should be cracked fine) and allow 3-4 hours for freezing.
- When bombe is done, remove mold and wipe carefully before opening to avoid getting salt inside.
- Store leftovers in freezer.