Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
An intense rich coffee ice cream from the Santcafe in Santa Fe
- 1 quart milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup espresso beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 3 tablespoons ground espresso coffee
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Heat milk sugar and coffee beans slowly together.
- Stir to dissolve sugar.
- When this reaches the boiling point, quickly whisk in the egg yolks, all at once.
- Continue to whisk gently until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Immediately add the coffee grounds and the honey, remove from the heat and continue to stir.
- It is important to keep the custard moving.
- After a couple of minutes, strain through a medium sieve, into a clean container.
- Chill this in a bath of ice water, stirring from time to time.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Add 1 quart heavy cream and churnfreeze in an ice cream making machine.
- Serve with Cajeta Sauce.