Recipe by Gale Gand. I adopted this recipe in Septembe 2006 but it combines favorite flavor in one of my favorite treats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites, at room temperature (from about 1 dozen eggs)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee or 1 tablespoon espresso
- 1 1/8 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup espresso
- 8 ounces confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1Serving Suggestion: Vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2Make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add 1 cup of the sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds.
- 4In a small bowl, stir together the hot water and instant coffee to make coffee extract.
- 5Using a sieve over a large bowl, sift the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the pre-sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture.
- 6Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites in batches; then fold in the vanilla and dissolved coffee.
- 7Spoon the batter into an ungreased 9 or 10-inch tube pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until light golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 8Cool by turning the cake (in the pan) upside down, propped on top of a bottle until it cools to room temperature. Run a long, sharp knife blade, or a butter knife, around the cake to loosen, then knock the cake out onto a plate or work it out with your fingers. The outside crumb of the cake will remain in the pan; exposing the white cake underneath.
- 9Make the Glaze: Stir the ingredients together until smooth. Add more liquid if too thick or more sugar if too thin. Pour glaze over the top of the cake, letting it drip down naturally. Let glaze set until hard, at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt, so you have a cappuccino in your mouth.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 4.4 g