Top Review by Charmie777
Very good!!!! I used New Mexico Chile powder, but other than that I followed the directions on the rub. My DH forgot to do the glaze and some people still declared it the best beef they've ever had!!
- 1 (2 lb) beef tri-tip steak
- coarse salt, to taste
Ancho-Coffee and Rub
- 1 tablespoon french roast coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the rub: Place the ingredients in a heated heavy skillet.
- Shake together and allow to toast for 1 minute or until mixture begins to release a strong aroma.
- Pour into a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a coarse powder.
- Rub the tri-tip on all sides with the spice rub; sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Place meat in a sealable plastic bag, seal and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the meat from the plastic bag and place on rack of smoker that has been preheated to 225deg.
- Combine the maple syrup and hot sauce; begin basting every 1/2 hour after the first hour.
- Smoke the tri-tip until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 130deg. for medium-rare (approximately 2 to 3 hours).
- Transfer the meat to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice the meat thinly across the grain and arrange on a warmed serving platter, sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with chipotle guacamole and Spanish rice.