Recipe by Countrywife
I got this recipe in Home Economics class in Jr. High. I shudder to think how long ago that was. Do not make these too large as the cookies will fall apart. This is good for a cookie press. Chill time is not included.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar (light or dark(your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix thoroughly soft shortening, sugar and eggs. Stir in cold (room temp) coffee.
- Sift together and stir in flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Chill several hours, overnight is best.
- Next day, drop by small rounded spoonfuls 2 inches apart onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F until just set, about 6 minutes. Test with finger. No imprint should remain.
- Do not over bake.