Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a delicious way to do a beef roast. The gravy is dark and tasty.
- 1 (3 -5 lb) beef roast (any kind)
- garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup coffee
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sprinkle roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat roast with flour and poke all over with fork.
- Sear in skillet in hot oil until browned on all sides.
- Transfer to roasting dish.
- Mix the coffee, soy sauce and sugar together.
- Pour over roast.
- Cover and roast at 350º for 2-3 hours, or until tender.
- About 45 minues before the roast is done, add potatoes, carrots and onions, if desired.
I think I would be giving more stars if I didn't overcook the meat. I cooked a 3 1/2 lb. beef eye round for 2 1/2 hours. I thought my kids would love it but they said it was dry and the gravy didn't help to remedy the beef's dryness. My advice would be to watch the meat carefully and check a meat thermometer. Thanks for posting.
I used about a 2-2 1/2 lb. chuck roast for this. I cut it into LARGE "bite-sized" pieces! Put it in the pressure cooker with the rest of the ingredients, MINUS the flour part. I did brown the cut-up pieces with a whole onion cut into about 1/8th's. Then put the lid on and pressure cooked it for about 12 minutes, and then let the pressure drop on it's own accord.I then added 8 oz.'s fresh sliced mushrooms, simmered that til tender, about 5 minutes, then added some butter kneaded with flour. About 2 Tbl. each kneaded together. I dropped that into it by small pieces to thicken slightly. Cooked for another 2 minutes or so, stirring. PERFECT!!! The coffee and soy sauce is the whole trick!!! IT IS AWESOME!!! :) Thanks so much, Charmie!!! :) OH! And I used dark brown sugar instead of regular white sugar.
I'm afraid this didn't really work for me. The beef was fine but the gravy was very bitter and we threw it out. I did use quite a strong coffee (what we drink normally) and maybe I should have used a milder blend?