Recipe by twissis
This is my final recipe from *The World Encyclopedia of Coffee* ---- Per the intro, Ground almonds give this buttery coffee sponge cake a moist texture & delicate flavour. Then it's sandwiched together w/a generous filling of creme de menthe buttercream." I nearly died & went to heaven when I saw the breathtaking pic! (Time does not include time for cake layers to fully cool). *Enjoy* !
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
This is every bit as wonderful as described in the intro, easy to put together, and so light and delicious you won't even put on a pound. I followed this exactly as written, except for two small changes. I don't have round cake pans. (I know, I know, who in the world doesn't have round cake pans? me!) I used 7' square pans. Also I ran out of almond, so I used 2 tablespoons of walnuts mixed with the almond. Other then that, terrific, and easy as a button to be devoured by all. So light, and gets even better if you wait more the 10 minutes to eat a bit, a fairy-like cake that makes you want to float as if you were in heaven. This is so easy to put together, I can't imagine someone not making this. I sprinkled a bit of freeze-dried coffee crystals atop the middle filling, just to bring the coffee taste to the forefront. Oh my! Just outstanding! Will make this again, soon! Thanks, twissis! Made for *Adopt A Tag* 2008
For Sponge Cake
- 1 tablespoon fine ground coffee
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water (heated to near-boil temp)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (well-softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- icing sugar (to dust top layer of cake)
- of fresh mint (sml sprigs for garnish)
For Buttercream Filling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease & line 2 7-in rd baking tins w/greaseproof paper.
- Put coffee grounds in a sml bowl & pour hot water over them. Leave to infuse for 4-5 minutes, then strain thru a fine sieve (See note below).
- Put butter, sugar, flour, almonds, eggs & coffee in a lrg bowl. Beat well for 1 min till blended. Divide mixture evenly between the tins & level the surface.
- Bake for 25 min till well-risen & firm to the touch. Leave in the tins for 5 min, then turn out onto a wire rack to fully cool.
- For Filling: While cake layers are baking, cream the butter, icing sugar + creme de menthe liqueur together in a bowl till light & fluffy. Refrigerate till cake layers are baked & fully cooled.
- Remove lining paper from sponge cake layers. Put 1 layer on serving plate (flat side up) & frost top surface only w/chilled filling. Gently place 2nd layer atop filling (flat side down). Refrigerate till ready to serve.
- To Serve: Generously dust top of cake w/icing sugar & scatter fresh mint leaves over dusted surface. (This was inconsistent w/the pic which showed the mint leaves mounded in the center of the top of the cake, so choose the look you prefer).
- NOTE RE PREP STEP 2: My pref would be to use a simple coffee filter to strain the coffee & remove the grounds. I'd just squeeze it to get all the coffee for the cake or press the filter w/the round side of a tbsp to manage that step easily. :-).