1/2 Photos of Coffee and Mint Cream Cake
This is my final recipe from *The World Encyclopedia of Coffee* ---- Per the intro, Ground almonds give this buttery coffee sponge cake a moist texture & delicate flavour. Then it's sandwiched together w/a generous filling of creme de menthe buttercream." I nearly died & went to heaven when I saw the breathtaking pic! (Time does not include time for cake layers to fully cool). *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Wedge S ...
Units: US | Metric
For Sponge Cake
- 1 tablespoon fine ground coffee
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water (heated to near-boil temp)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (well-softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- icing sugar (to dust top layer of cake)
- fresh mint (sml sprigs for garnish)
For Buttercream Filling
- 1For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly grease & line 2 7-in rd baking tins w/greaseproof paper.
- 3Put coffee grounds in a sml bowl & pour hot water over them. Leave to infuse for 4-5 minutes, then strain thru a fine sieve (See note below).
- 4Put butter, sugar, flour, almonds, eggs & coffee in a lrg bowl. Beat well for 1 min till blended. Divide mixture evenly between the tins & level the surface.
- 5Bake for 25 min till well-risen & firm to the touch. Leave in the tins for 5 min, then turn out onto a wire rack to fully cool.
- 6For Filling: While cake layers are baking, cream the butter, icing sugar + creme de menthe liqueur together in a bowl till light & fluffy. Refrigerate till cake layers are baked & fully cooled.
- 7Remove lining paper from sponge cake layers. Put 1 layer on serving plate (flat side up) & frost top surface only w/chilled filling. Gently place 2nd layer atop filling (flat side down). Refrigerate till ready to serve.
- 8To Serve: Generously dust top of cake w/icing sugar & scatter fresh mint leaves over dusted surface. (This was inconsistent w/the pic which showed the mint leaves mounded in the center of the top of the cake, so choose the look you prefer).
- 9NOTE RE PREP STEP 2: My pref would be to use a simple coffee filter to strain the coffee & remove the grounds. I'd just squeeze it to get all the coffee for the cake or press the filter w/the round side of a tbsp to manage that step easily. :-).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee and Mint Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 546.6
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 140.3 mg
- Sodium 426.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: