1 hr 5 mins
Another treat for coffee lovers. It doesn't rise as high as a regular layer cake, so you didn't do anything wrong *wink*. Time does not include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup black walnut, toasted, chopped, divided (about 4 ounces, any kind of walnuts will do)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa (Dutch process is best)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (add more by teaspoons if needed)
- 1For cake:.
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 3Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- 4Blend 1/2 cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon sugar, and espresso in processor until nuts are finely ground.
- 5Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth.
- 6Gradually add remaining sugar (1 1/4 cups minus 1 tablespoon), beating until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then egg yolk. Add ground walnut mixture and vanilla; beat to blend.
- 7Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
- 8Fold in remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- 9Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- 10Bake cake layers until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 26 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto racks and cool completely.
- 11For coffee-mascarpone cream:.
- 12Stir espresso, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon water in large bowl until coffee dissolves.
- 13Add cream, mascarpone, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until filling is thick and smooth (do not overbeat or filling may curdle).
- 14Place 1 cake layer on platter, flat side up. Spread half of filling over cake.
- 15Place second layer, flat side down, on filling.
- 16Spread remaining filling over top. Mix walnuts, cinnamon, and salt.
- 17Sprinkle over top of cake.
- 18Cover with cake dome.
- 19Chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coffee and Black Walnut Cake With Coffee-Mascarpone Cream
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.1
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 148.3 mg
- Sodium 231.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 32.3 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: