Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
I love meringue cookies!! I used to BEG my mom to make them when I was young, and now I make them for myself. This recipe is from Sandra Lee and a Folgers recipe booklet I recieved.
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the coffee granules and egg whites and beat until frothy.
- Add the salt, cream of tartar, and cinnamon.
- Beat with mixer until soft peaks slowly form.
- Gently add both sugars and almond extract.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the toasted slivered almonds.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons 1 1/2" apart on to the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minute.
- Turn off the heat, but leave the meringues in the oven for an additional 30 minute.
- Remove the parchment (with the meringues on it) from the baking sheet and let cool completely on the counter.
- Peel the cookies from the parchment and store in an air tight container.