Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour 2006. A dessert close to your heart ? :) Preparation time includes overnight refrigeration. REGION: France.
- 225 g cottage cheese (8 oz)
- 25 g caster sugar (1 oz)
- 300 ml double cream (10 oz)
- 5 ml lemon juice (1 teaspoon)
- 2 egg whites (stiffly whisked)
- fresh raspberry, to serve
- fresh strawberries, to serve
- 150 ml single cream (optional)
- Push the cottage cheese though a sieve into a bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
- Whip the double cream until stiff and then add the lemon juice, add this mixture to the cottage cheese mixture.
- If you are serving this in the mould(s), no lining is necessary, but if you want to turn these out of the mould(s) then line the mould with muslin.
- Gently fold the stiffly whisked egg whites into the cheese mixture,then spoon completed mixture into several small or 1 large mould.
- Refrigerate overnight to drain.
- Use the muslin to support the dessert as you turn it out and carefully peel off.
- Serve with strawberries, raspberries and cream.
A lovely dessert -- not too sweet and very creamy. I didn't have any caster sugar so I just whizzed granulated white sugar around the food processor until it was fine enough. I have one large heart shaped silicone mold which I lined with cheesecloth that left a nice basket-weave pattern on the cheese. We had these with both whole strawberries and strawberry coulis, the red was a gorgeous contrast against the white.