Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 hrs
A good dessert dish for diabetics. Time consuming, but worth it.
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest (or orange if you prefer)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Using a food processor or electric mixer, combine the yogurt and ricotta cheese; process until smooth.
- Line a colander or basket with a double layer of cheese cloth, letting cloth hang over the edges.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the colander. Fold cheese cloth over top and place colander over a bowl or baking dish to catch the whey.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Scrape the cheese from the cheesecloth and add the lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Line a 3 cup heart-shaped mold (or the draining basket) with cheese cloth, again allowing cloth to hang over the edges.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the mold, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Fold cheesecloth over cheese; chill for 3 hours.
- To serve, unfold cheesecloth and invert mold onto a serving platter.
- Remove cheesecloth.
- Surround with the berries.