1 hr 45 mins
From Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." Never thought I'd find a cookbook I loved more than "Joy of Cooking," but this may be it. This is so easy to make, and very yummy. (Of course I use more garlic than Mr. Bittman calls for!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb carrot (peeled and cut into rounds)
- 1/2 lb celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb potato (red or Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 onion, large and sliced into rings
- 1 1/2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into 10-12 pieces (or use any other firm white fish)
- 2 cups white wine (or any kind of stock, or water, or any combination of these that adds up to 2 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Spread 1/3 of oil (or butter) in the bottom of a 9x13" casserole dish. Sprinkle minced garlic across the bottom of the dish.
- 3Top the garlic with half of the carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, and fish. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add more of the oil (or butter).
- 4Take the remaining vegetables and fish and spread across the casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Pour wine/stock/water (whichever you decided to use) over all of it. Spread the remaining oil/butter across the top.
- 5Cover and bake until the potatoes are cooked through -- about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cod With Winter Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 187.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 32.9 g