Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Light, healthy and easy. The saute part can be done in advance. I add some anchovies with the onions and garlic and let them dissolve into the vegetable mix. I also use fresh oregano when possible.
- 4 cod fish fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 onion (medium dice)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 ounces tomatoes, canned (drained)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 8 black Greek olives (pitted)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange fillets in 8x8x2 inch square baking dish.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil in medium-size skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly softened. Add tomatoes, capers, basil, olives, lemon juice, oregano, salt if using and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 8 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the fish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Made this simple cod dish with only a few changes (dried basil and black olives, since I didn't have any Greek olives). It was delicious, colorful, and light!
Great recipe! Very flavorful and fast. I added the anchovies and I used fresh oregano as Chef kate suggested. The lemon makes the sauce perfect for fish.
Great tasting recipe !!!We loved it,will make often,I did half recipeand had to use dried basil but otherwise followed your recipe.Thanks..