These are delicious. I first tasted them in Kensington Market at a Portugese bakery. Later I saw them at a Tapas Bar. I don't know the Spanish name for them but one of my cheffy buddies got me the recipe.
- Rinse and soak the cod 12 hours or overnight in several changes of cold water.
- Drain, place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer until fish flakes easily when poked with a knife about 15 minutes.
- Drain , cool and remove skin and bones.
- Shred finely in the food processor making sure ther are no chunks.
- Combine cod, potatoes, onion, parsley , lemon juice, nutmeg and pepper. taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in eggs to form a firm , malleable mixture.
- Using a dessert spoon scoop up a heaping spoon full of cod mixture. With a second dessert spoon cupped over the first press and form a rounded oval allowing excess to fall back into bowl. Place on a tray. continue with rest of mixture.
- In 3 inches of oil heated to 375F deep fry ovals about 8 at a time till golden and crisp. Drain immediately.
- Serve with lemon and olives.