Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'The Best Recipes in the World' by Mark Bittman; France
Make and share this Cod Poached in Cider recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs cod fish fillets, about 1 inch thick, in 1 to 2 pieces (or red snapper)
- 2 cups dry sparkling apple cider
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Put the butter in a small skillet and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not yet beginning to brown.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the onion to a flameproof ceramic or nonstick baking dish just large enough to contain the fish.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and put it over the onion.
- Pour the cider around all and bring to a boil on top of the stove.
- Cover with foil and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the fish is done (a thin-bladed knife inserted into its center will meet little resistance).
- Garnish with parsley and serve the fish with onion and juices spoon over it.