Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
- butter, for baking dish
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white potatoes, peeled
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts, halved
- 1 lb cod fish fillets or 1 lb haddock fillet, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Butter a 13-inch oval gratin pan or 4 deep, individual-sized baking dishes.
- Cut the potatoes crosswise into thin, uniform slices.
- Cut the leeks crosswise into slices about twice as thick as the potatoes.
- Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the potato slices in the prepared dish, overlapping them to cover the bottom.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Scatter half of the leeks over the potatoes, then arrange the fish slices over the leeks in a single layer, overlapping the slices as necessary.
- Top with the remaining leeks, then with the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream evenly over the layers; bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon some of the cooking liquid over the top of the gratin to moisten the potatoes and help them brown.
- Continue to bake until the top layer of potatoes is tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes and serve.
Excellant! I made the recipe as directed. A very simple recipe that is delicious.