Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a simple but hearty recipe -- full of flavor, lean protein and fiber!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen cod fish fillets or 16 ounces frozen whiting fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- Remove fish from freezer, unwrap and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Sautee the first 3 ingredients in olive oil, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, briefly sauté.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, basil and pepper.
- Stir fish into mixture. Cover, simmer 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- Add parsley to mixture.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package directions, so that it is finished cooking when cod mixture is ready.
- In individual bowls serve cod mixture over brown rice.
Excellen and easy. I used red peppers instead of green because I had them. Upped garlic a bit. Used fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Added a sprinkle of crushed red pepper for a little extra flavor.
I have to admit, I was wary when I saw the ingredient list as it doesn't look like this would have a lot of flavor. I had all of the ingredients on hand (except chicken broth, so we subbed beef), so we tried it. I'm SO glad I was wrong! Out of six family members, only the 5yo didn't care for it. The other kids had 2 or 3 servings and only stopped because we ran out of rice! DH suggested taking the lid off of the gumbo the last half of cooking to thin out the broth (it was more like soup since there's no thickener in it.), plus putting out some hot sauce for those so inclined. We also both thought it could do nothing but benefit, flavor-wise, from a little andouille sausage. DEFINITELY a keeper here and a great way to get the fish, veggies and brown rice into the family! Thanks!