My Food Coach's Note:
This is a simple but hearty recipe -- full of flavor, lean protein and fiber!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen cod fish fillets or 16 ounces frozen whiting fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1Remove fish from freezer, unwrap and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- 2Sautee the first 3 ingredients in olive oil, 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, briefly sauté.
- 4Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, basil and pepper.
- 5Stir fish into mixture. Cover, simmer 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- 6Add parsley to mixture.
- 7Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package directions, so that it is finished cooking when cod mixture is ready.
- 8In individual bowls serve cod mixture over brown rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cod Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 506.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 20.6 g