Recipe by Phil Franco
Rachel Ray Show: 30 Minute Meals Episode: Ship Ahoy
Top Review by Parrot Head Mama
I saw this on a recent episode of Rachel's "30 Minute Meals" and prayed that it would be here, rather than my having to hunt it down on the internet somewhere. And here it was! Just EXCELLENT, although I doubled the recipe and it took me longer than 30 minutes (I think chopping up all the fresh herbs was the time killer, but worth it). I served these to guests, along with a mayo/horesradish/mustard sauce and "Basque Potatoes" #26389. WONDERFUL meal. Thanks so much for posting!
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh cod
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, eyeball it
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (recommended ( Old Bay)
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, a few sprigs
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, a handful
- black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1/2-inch water to a simmer in a large nonstick skillet.
- Zest a lemon and reserve. Cut lemon and season the fish the some lemon juice and salt and add to the simmering water.
- Cover pan and cook fish 8 minutes.
- Remove and flake fish into a bowl.
- Discard water and wipe out pan, returning it to heat over medium flame and add 1/4 cup vegetable oil. To the fish, add reserved lemon zest, seafood seasoning, celery, onion, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper to fish. Add egg and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Form 8 fish patties and toss in remaining bread crumbs to set the patties.
- Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to the cleaned out pan and heat over medium flame.
- Cook patties in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden and reserve under foil or in warm oven.