Cod Chowder With Saffron and Potatoes
- Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add leeks to same pot. Cover and cook until leeks are very tender, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
- Add clam juice, potatoes, 1/2 cup water/wine, thyme, and saffron. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in cream and reserved bacon. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cod with salt and pepper; place atop chowder. Cover and cook until cod is opaque in center, about 10 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer 1 cod fillet to each of 6 bowls. Ladle chowder over fish and serve.