Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thick and creamy soup that is finished with coutons to soak up the flavors. This is a fantastic chowder for the winter months.
- 4 cups skim milk
- 2⁄3 cup double cream (heavy)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cod fish fillets, skinned and boned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb potato, thickly sliced
- 1 lb frozen broad bean (fava beans)
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed, cut into large cubes
- Heat olive oil in frying pan. Add bread cubes. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until golden all over. Remove and leave to drain on kitchen paper until soup is ready.
- Pour milk and cream into large pot and bring to boil. Add cod and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and simmer for 6 minutes until fish is just cooked. Use a slotted spoon to remove the fish from the cooking liquid.
- Using a fork, flake the cooked cod into pieces and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and onion mixture to the milk mixture. Add potatoes and bring back to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broadbeans and simmer for 10 minutes (if frozen, follow instructions on bag before they are added to mixture).
- Add cod to the soup and heat gently.
- Just before serving, add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Season with chives, nutmeg, salt, and ground pepper to taste.
- Serve with croutons piled on top.