Recipe by English_Rose
This one dish meal combines fish, potatoes and veggies all in one pot with a delicious basque style sauce. Serve with steamed greens for extra veggies.
- 1 lb potato, peeled, sliced and par boiled
- 2 1⁄2 cups fish or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb cod, skinned and cut into 4 fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 ounce cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 slice lemon (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F
- Arrange the prepared potatoes in the bottom of a large shallow ovenproof dish. Pour on half the stock.
- Brush each fillet with lemon juice and sprinkle with 1 tsp old bay. Dot with knobs of butter.
- Cover and cook for approximately 35-45 minutes or until the fish is cooked and potatoes are just tender.
- Without disturbing the fish and potatoes, drain off and reserve the stock. Cover the dish and keep warm.
- For the sauce, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and fry the onion until golden. Stir in the cornstarch, tomato paste, cayenne pepper,thyme and remaining old bay. Make the drained stock up to 2 1/2 cups using remaining stock and blend into the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers. Bring to the boil, stirring and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with twists of lemon. Serve with green vegetables.