Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
There are other cod recipes on Zaar, but not identical to this one that I discovered on Allrecipes.com. It was submitted by Rose Small. She said "If you want to impress a Newfoundlander, do it with simple goodness. This recipe is straight from Newfoundland!" I'll be making this one soon.
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease an 8x 12 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add cod fillets and cook for 4 to 6 minutes; drain.
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat and mix in the flour and milk.
- Return to stove over medium heat, and stir until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Flake fish into baking dish, alternating layers with sauce.
- Sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is browned.
Tasted like macaroni and cheese, but instead of macaroni, fish. It was good..