Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like cod fish, there's nothing not to like about this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh cod
- Melt butter, add flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir to make a paste.
- Add milk and cook until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- pour a little of the sauce over the bottom.
- Add a layer of cod, sprinkle with cheese.
- Repeat these layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 until nicely browned (about 1/2 hour).
This is a great recipe. The only thing I do differently is to fry out some mince onion in the butter before I make the paste. You can use this recipe for any white fish filet.
This was a very easy dish to prepare but needed some seasonings Like garlic, onions, maybe some kind of pepper sauce,herbs. The sauce is very very rich so you can eat only a little.
Great ! Having no milk I used soya milk and a bit of cream. Same as Chef, I added onions and garlic. This was the best Cod au Gratin I never had.......