- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh cod
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, add flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir to make a paste.
- Add milk and cook until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- pour a little of the sauce over the bottom.
- Add a layer of cod, sprinkle with cheese.
- Repeat these layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 until nicely browned (about 1/2 hour).