Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great appetizer for party functions. Or to just have in the fridge for brunch. You can prepare the Cod and Potatoes ahead to save time, by soaking Cod in water and boiling your potatoes. That's what I do. The Cod I use is bagged, and salted. Should be available in your super market next to the frozen or fresh fish section.
- 396.89 g dry salted cod (soaked overnight in water)
- 5 medium potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed)
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 73.94 ml dry white wine or 73.94 ml any kind broth
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- oil (for deep frying)
- after soaking cod overnight, change water.
- place cod in pot with enough water to cover it and boil cod for 15-20 minutes.
- remove from stove top, drain, let it cool and flake.
- peel and boil the potatoes in pot with a bit of salt, drain potatoes, and mash.
- let potatoes cool (I stick them in the freezer for quick cooling).
- place potatoes, cod, parsley, eggs, onions, nutmeg, garlic powder, pepper in a bowl and mix together.
- now add the wine or broth until you get a nice mashed potato consistency.
- taste for salt and add if needed.
- heat oil in deep fryer or a wok until very hot.
- reduce heat to medium, high.
- grab mixture with a tablespoon, with an other tablespoon grab same mixture working with tablespoons from back to front, until you get an oval shape patty.
- drop it into very hot oil.
- and fry until golden brown, turning patty to brown on both sides.
- remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain.
- Note: do NOT place more then 6 patty's into oil so not to cause oil to over flow.