1/1 Photo of Cod and Cabbage Stew
When I saw the original recipe in a gourmet food magazine, I thought "yuk - fish and cabbage!". But, as I reread the ingredients I knew this would be a keeper. I was right, this stew is on my 5 star list! I like a soupier version so I use a 3rd bottle of clam juice, a whole cup of cream snd 1/2 cup of white wine - it's delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 cubes
- 3 cups sliced green cabbage
- 10 ounces boneless skinless cod, cut into 1 inch pieces (you can substitute another firm fleshed, mild tasting white fish such as pollock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- white pepper
- 1Fry bacon in a 4 1/2 qt (or larger) sauce pan until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 3Add onion to drippings and sautee until golden.
- 4Add clam juice and potato, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender.
- 5Add cabbage, and simmer 2 minutes.
- 6Add fish and simmer until fish turns opaque.
- 7Add cream, bacon, chives, salt and white pepper and simmer 1 minute before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cod and Cabbage Stew
Serving Size: 1 (703 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.8
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 1079.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 33.5 g