Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A lovely sweet treat that is subtle in flavour and not too sweet. A food for the gods.
Make and share this Cocunut and Rice Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Boil 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Add salt and oil.
- Slowly stir in the rice flour careful to avoid any lumps being formed.
- Cook while continuing stirring till the dough turns thick.
- Take off the flame.
- Heat jaggery in 2 cups of water to make a thick syrup.
- (If you are using sugar make a syrup till one string consistency is obtained) Add the coconut and cook till thick.
- Add cardamom and raisins and cook till almost dry Cool Divide the rice douch into 20 equal portions Take one portion in the centre of an oiled palm and flatten Make a small cup of each portion of the dough and put a portion of the coconut mixture in it and shape (To shape the modak, bring together the edges of the dough cup and pleat them together to meet in a fluted top).
- Steam cook the modaks (about 20 minutes) till done.
- Be careful not to break them.
- Insert toothpick making sure the dough comes out clean Serve brushed with hot ghee.