Recipe by Colleen.Ludgate
The original recipe was one of many that was used during my time training as a chef. While I modified it slightly for ease of preparation, the end result is still out of this world.
- 2 kg veal shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 1 liter chicken stock, hot
- 20 white pearl onions
- 20 button mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 ml 35% cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat meat in oil, but do not brown.
- Mix together the cornstarch and oil to make a slurry.
- Add ½ the stock, bring to a boil; add stock and slurry as needed until thickened (like gravy).
- Cook out about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, create the liaison by whipping together the egg yolks with the cream until thick.
- Strain and rinse meat; reserve sauce.
- Return sauce to pot, bring to a simmer and add meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly temper in liaison by adding small amounts of sauce to it and whisking (adding it all in at once will cause your eggs to scramble), then pour the contents back in the pot.
- Bring to a quick simmer, and immediately remove from heat.