Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have served this for 30 years and have never failed to get a raving review. My kids who are not "fish fans", love this tuna casserole.
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 (7 ounce) cans tuna
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large frying pan, saute the onions, bell pepper, and celery in butter. Cook until tender.
- Mix flour and salt together and blend the mixture into the pan with the vegetables. Stir in the broth. Simmer the sauce, stirring until it thickens.
- After it thickens, add wine, half & half, mushrooms, and tuna.
- Place noodles in casserole dish and pour mixture over the top. Mix together.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Take the casserole out.
- Mix bread crumbs with 2 Tbsp butter and stir in the cheese. Spread on top of the cooked casserole and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
This was good, but my DH didn't like it and I thought the nice flavor of the wine really got masked by the cream (i tried the sauce before adding the cream and should have just skipped it and added another half cup of stock or left as is). I wasn't sure whether or not to cook the noodles, because I've made tuna noodle casserole before and had to cook the noodles, so I went ahead and cooked them. I also covered the casserole for the first baking. I think if I made this again I would use 1/2 cup of regular onions, skip the celery and peppers and add frozen peas and maybe carrots. I really wanted to love this dish as I love white wine/sherry in dishes and liked that it didn't have the canned soups in it, but it just didn't work for us as written.
This was great and pretty quick to make after a long day. I used soy creamer instead of half and half along with soy cheese instead of cheeder. We also aren't big mushroom fans in my house so I used some frozen mixed vegetables. It was great and easy to adapt. I will definitely be making this again soon!