Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got inspired by other recipes on this site to make my own version of this vegetarian soup and it came out delicious!
- 3 medium yams, baked (or sweet potatoes)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon oil, for sautaeing
- 7 ounces light coconut milk (or more to taste)
- Chop onions and garlic and sauté in butter in a large saucepan until onions are translucent but not brown.
- Meanwhile puree yams one at a time in a blender with ½ cup soymilk each and add to saucepan.
- Add bouillon, curry powder, pepper and coconut milk and heat until bouillon is incorporated, five to ten minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan bread or Rycrisp.
Yummy! I made enough to eat leftovers for lunches for a few days and I'll be disappointed when my leftovers run out!