Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been in search of a recipe for an alternative whipped topping for some time now. I don't want any chemicals or dairy in it. I came across this today from Vegsource.com. but changed a few things to suit my needs. This is creamy and light and absolutely delicious.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (or cream and unsweetened)
- 1⁄3 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder (or if using vanilla sugar-decreased amount used slightly)
- 2 drops lemon extract
- Put the can of coconut milk/cream in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- I have found it works much better when you leave it for a few days. Also chill your bowl and whisk if you use these. They will definitely help with the whipping.
- Open the can and remove the coagulated cream from the top of the can. Save the rest for something else.
- Whip the coconut cream until thick and fluffy.
- Gently beat in the rest of the ingredients.
- Keep in the fridge.
- Use ASAP.
- For a stiffer topping whip in some soft vegetarian gelatin or powdered agar agar in equal amounts.
- Bon Appetit!
WOW!! What an awesome alternative whipped topping! I used it to make "Tres Leches" cake. I made it a day ahead of time and the topping was slightly runny, but the next day (in the fridge over night, of course) it had the consistency of "Cool Whip". Excellent taste, everyone loved it and didn't miss the traditional whipped topping. I didn't have vanilla powder so I used 1 tsp. vanilla extract and I didn't have lemon extract so I substituted 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice. I tried it (couldn't resist!) before adding the lemon and I liked it better than after I added the lemon. Next time I'll omit the lemon altogether. Thanks so much for posting! I'll be making this again for sure!
I was so glad to see this recipe! We used coconut milk, a little coconut cream, vanilla, maple syrup and lemon food grade essential oil, and it was divine! Thank you for posting!